We’re excited that you’ve decided to implement Frontify as your new Brand Asset Management platform. If you already have a DAM system in place, you might want to migrate your assets to Frontify. In this article, we’re going to show you the steps you want to take, the information we need for the asset migration, and how we’re going to do it.
Please talk with your Customer Success Manager about how you want to set up the migration process, costs that are involved, and if you have any doubts or questions.
An important point is the timeline for the migration. Don’t underestimate the time you’ll need to prepare everything until it’s ready for the migration. If everything runs smoothly, we can go through with a migration in 2-3 weeks, but quite often it needs more time (1-2 months) to migrate all the metadata and assets while cleaning everything up. If you have a set timeline for your migration (due to cancellation of former contracts, go-lives, or similar), please inform us about that at the start, and plan enough resources to manage the tasks you’ve got to do on your end. The better prepared you are, the smoother the whole migration process will be.
Assets & Metadata
An asset migration always has two layers:
- The assets themselves
- The metadata associated with them
The following image shows you how the process of the migration looks like. You (or your former supplier) need to export everything from the former system to a cloud storage (Amazon S3), the metadata should be exported as an XLS, XLSX, CSV, or JSON file and structured accordingly to import to Frontify.
Usually, migrating the assets themselves is not really the issue, but the “pièce de resistance” often lies in the metadata and how to map it to the actual assets.
Some DAM systems allow full exports of assets and metadata from the UI of the system. If your former system has that functionality, you can perform a full download by yourself and provide us with:
- The metadata sheet, after having done the adaptations necessary to match our structure (more about that structure later).
- The assets in the S3 bucket we’ve prepared for you.
If your former system doesn’t allow a full export from the UI, you have two options:
- Contact the former system provider and ask them to make that export for you. There are very different reactions from providers when you ask them to do so. Some are very cooperative and support you with it, but some aren’t really keen on helping. If the provider is somehow cooperative, it could make sense to set up a call with them and Frontify to discuss the details of the export. If your provider wants to charge money for the export, try to make sure that they export it in the structure that is needed right from the start.
- If your former provider has an API in place, you can probably use this API to export your metadata and/or assets. Discuss that option with your former provider, and with us, to define if that way could be an option.
- You can export the assets by yourself. If there are any kind of bulk downloads available, upload them to Frontify by yourself. If you do, you will only have EXIF data written on images, but no additional metadata associated with the assets. So this should really be considered as a last resort (or if you really want to build everything from scratch).
Now, let’s talk about which assets to migrate:
A DAM migration is your chance to get rid of old assets that you might not need any more in the future. Therefore we recommend planning some time ahead for cleaning up your libraries and assets. This can be done before the migration, or directly in Frontify after we’ve migrated the assets. If you want to get rid of assets before migrating them into Frontify (after the export to the cloud storage) you can just remove the assets from the metadata sheet as we only import assets that are represented in that sheet.
The same goes for metadata associated with the file: If you want to change/delete metadata before the migration, you can do that directly in the metadata sheet. But you can also easily do that after the migration directly in Frontify. One of the big advantages of our system is how easily you can apply metadata to assets. But you might already know that.
Need Specific Support? We’ll Help You Out
Your Customer Success Manager will be happy to support you during this clean-up for general questions that are product-related. If you have more specific needs and require deeper consulting about the structure, the metadata of your assets, or you need someone to take care of the clean-up, please contact us. We are happy to connect you to external specialists for that topic.
Here are other help articles about Asset Migration: